Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tiger and the Arts + Paulaner Brauhaus

As if I hadn't consumed enough calories in the week prior, Jens, Kristin and I (Canadian Kristin, not German Kristin nor Norwegian Kristin) decided to grab a couple Tigers Saturday night from the 24 hour store, march on top of this damn cool media and design/arts building here on campus, and chat away about life in Singapore and our plans for the future. F.Y.I.: Tiger is a famous Singaporean beer. Just for good measure and to keep myself honest, I picked up a 'Big Bau' AND Potato chips to accompany my beer. I needed neither but craved both. A Bau is a Chinese bun filled with meat/vegetable/red been etc, and a 'Big Bau' is, well, bigger :) A beer would have been fine, but leave it to Sean to go overboad and get some 'extras.' In my defence, I didn't finish the chips. Yea!

As per usual, we were all looking DAMN fine in our best ragged shorts and t-shirts as we sweated our guts off outside in the hot and humid air; even when it 'cools down' at night, it remains hot and muggy. No bother, we came here for a new experience, and new experiences we shall get. I won't get into the niggty gritty of our conversation here because it was a 'you had to be there kinda thing,' but suffice it to say, we connected on a deeper level for sure.

The next day I hauled my arse outta bed relatively early (around 10:15a.m., which is REALLY EARLY for a Sunday), and went downtown to Paulaner Brauhaus for an absolutely AMAZING German brunsch; the Germans assure me this isn't 'fusion' food and that it really is quite authentic. Needless to say, the weekend was a total write-off calorie wise, if you hadn't already figured that out. In good fashion, I stuffed myself with as much German beer, food and desserts as I possibly could in the 3 hours we were given. I had to justify the S$47 price tag. Considering that free flow beer is included with the buffet, it's a price and experience you just can't beat.

Like any good German, I toasted my beers with an authentic toast to the 'apfelstrudel' and 'kinderüberraschungsei' Gods. More on this later.

P.S. When I source some photos, I'll post a few up here.

No comments: