Sunday, May 27, 2007

Brown...deep down

I am brown, deep down. I really had no idea. Right from the time I arrived in Singapore people have noticed that I am willing to eat pretty much everything known to man, save for puppies, kitties and any sort of blood based beverage. Now don't be mistaken. Those are not popular in Asia, at least not the parts I've been. But if I ever get in with a tribe in Africa, I'll have problems when they slit the goat's throat, mix it with blood and down that shit like it's a fine, aged whiskey. No siree.

My good friend Lorena noticed the same thing when I was in Mexico about 6 year ago. Man, I can't believe it's been six years already. Wow. Anyhow, I ate pretty much everything they put in front of me, and loved every last morcel of it. It was a running joke in her house when her mother would ask 'Are you hungry?' What a silly question. 'OF COURSE I'm hungry!' was my response. That's because I usually was. The only dish I did not like was 'Menudo Soup', which is a traditional Mexican dish made from trip. That is a cow's stomach, for those of you who aren't familiar, and has the consistency of fat. In fact, I spit it out and told her they forgot to take out the fat at which point I got this look 'It's not fat, you idiot...' Oopsy!

I can tell I'm becoming localized mostly as a result of the large quantities of chili and tobasco sauce I can eat. At Sapna's going away lunch, I loudly declard to the entire table that I personally believe that tobasco sauce is MUCH hotter in North America, because I can barely eat any of it back home. I was promptly informed that all tobasco sauce is made in the same factory in the United States, and that I'm eating the same sauce I eat back home. The only difference is that the ol' taste buds had acclimatized to the constant barrage of spice. When I go back home, I think I'll find all the food will be bland.

I can also slurp noodles like the best of them. I wasn't sure if this was a good thing when one of my mates pointed it out, but at according to Miss Martha: 'it's a good thing.'

The remaining challenge: Try 'Pig's Organ Soup.'

If I can shovel that down, I will be 'completely brown' not just 'brown, deep down.' I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: